Join the Safari West Team
Employment at Safari West
We are always looking for enthusiastic and friendly faces to join our Safari West team. There are many different employment opportunities at Safari West. Examples of possible employment include, but are not limited to guest services positions in the front office or reservations clerks, safari guide drivers, animal caregivers, event planners and openings in our culinary department. Hospitality experience preferred.
For future consideration, you may submit your resume to human resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please understand we will review your resume and contact you if we have a current position to match your qualifications. We do regret that we are unable to respond to each email. Thank you in advance for your interest in employment at Safari West.
Currently Open Positions
African Wildlife Naturalist, Tour Guide
We are seeking warm and engaging individuals for our Tour Guide positions. Our Guides lead guests on three-hour educational safaris; interpret natural history of African animals, birds, and Sonoma County flora and fauna. Also, provide walking tours to school children and guests. Excellent verbal, teaching, and people skills are required. Must enjoy working with the public and with large groups of people. Educate guests, (families and school groups), about African wildlife and conservation programs for endangered African species. Responsible for guest and animal safety. The ability to be flexible and versatile is a must. The right candidates are able to embrace constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm. Ability to drive a manual transmission is a plus. A background check is required. We are also looking for team players who will help with guest services when not scheduled for a tour.
This position is seasonal.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Animal Keeper – (Hoof Stock)
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Keeper to join our animal team. We are primarily looking for Keepers with experience working with exotic hoof stock, but who could also assist as needed with birds, carnivores, and possibly primates. This is a very demanding job. We are looking for a dedicated keeper who has a strong work ethic with a willingness to learn the natural history and behavior of the animals under their care.
This position will have interactions with guests, interns, and other staff members from various departments. The applicant will be expected to interact with others in a professional, respectful, and positive manner at all times.
- A 4-year degree in biology or related field or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with exotic animal husbandry, preferably with hoof stock.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with people at all levels; have a positive attitude with a commitment to high standards.
- Highly motivated with the ability to both prioritize tasks effectively and to work on complex projects with minimal direction.
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with ability to function effectively in high stress situations if needed.
- Acute attention to detail; exercise good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Creative, flexible, and innovative team player.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. utilizing proper lifting procedures and have the ability to bend, stoop, crawl, and walk on uneven surfaces.
- Knowledge of safe handling of dangerous materials.
- First Aid and CPR training a plus.
- Possession of valid driver’s license.
- Basic Computer skills (MS Office Applications)
- Diligent care of the collection including: feeding prescribed diets, monitoring and reporting diet consumption consistent with documented procedures, reporting of any observed health or behavioral abnormalities to immediate supervisor on a daily basis, providing behavioral enrichment and training, aiding in veterinary treatment and medical procedures.
- Respond to animal emergency circumstances according to approved protocols while ensuring the safety of guests and animals.
- Perform minor repairs to animal enclosures; interact with maintenance staff as needed.
- Participate in required safety training and protocols.
- This is by no means an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g. emergencies, changes in personnel or workload).
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume email@example.com, please include length of time at each position.
Three professional references and a background check will be required at time of hire.